Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Sewing and running don't mix

Hi! This is what I've been doing instead of sewing the ever growing list of things I want to sew.
This is a photo of me around mile 13 in a 30K (18.64 mile) race that I did on Sunday. Despite my humble goals in my upcoming marathon (finish without crying like a little girl), training for this race is really taking it out of me. At this point, I'm running 60 miles per week, which means getting out on the pavement at 6:15 in the morning, and another short run in the evening. When I'm not doing that, I'm working, or trying to keep my stomach full. It's amazing how expensive marathon training is -- I'm always eating!

And I'm always tired. Like, I have a hard enough time keeping my eye on the goal at work, never mind at my sewing machine. On Saturday, I needed a good sit-on-my-ass-and-drink-lots of water activity... sewing! I am almost done with my wool pants (that I wanted in December) and probably would have finished them but for spacing out after every other seam. I've also decided that I can't go to the Lowell textile museum meetup after all; I have a 20 mile run planned for that morning and the last time I tried to go to a museum after a long training run I spent most of it sitting on a bench outside the exhibition... not so great for hanging out when everyone else is actually looking at the exhibits!

Given the rate at which I'll be sewing until this marathon, I really need to prioritize what I'm going to sew. I want some new skirts, jeans, and shirts for Spring. However, I think that I need a suit or some other grownup attire for upcoming interviews and the like. Tomorrow I have a Big Presentation to give and no idea what to wear. I had an interview for a job a few weeks ago and freaked out for a few days over what to wear... and was relieved when it was a phone interview. So this is where I ask for your help -- what do grownups wear to work? I think that I can possibly make a long term project of a suit of some sort. I have plenty of suitings in my stash. What color is "professional"? Gray? Black? Is it "more" (whatever that means) professional to wear a skirt suit or pant suit (I'd prefer pant suit, I think)?

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on sticking to your running programme - and still smiling at 13miles - thats impressive! I'm out of touch with professional wear these days too, but unless it is an incredibly stuffy place I think a pantsuit is absolutely fine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you must be sooo motivated to run! That is one thing I've never ever liked...ever ever, hehe. I think you are great to do so.
    About professional wear - just wear what feels good to you. Just be you. That means wear colors and a bit of details if you have a bright open personality, but not too much (to avoid the detail being the topic of the conversation). The usual simple, black and gray corporate outfit works great if you are bold and sharp. I think that it is important to convey the right message about oneself without drawing too much attention to the clothes. That way, your speach, presentation, message will be percieved the right way.
    :-)
    Hope this helped a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are doing awesome on your training!

    In the DC lawyer world, there isn't much distinction made between skirt or pants as far as what is "more professional." If you feel more comfortable in pants you should go with them. Black or gray is fine; if black you could do a pinstripe to add a little sharpness.

    I do have a Plain Old Black Suit that I wear when necessary (formal lawyer situations), but for speeches and the like I can get away with something with a little more personality, like a shift dress and jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for weighing in on the professional dressage, and your advice! I guess i'll need to suck it up and figure out what kind of suit to make -- it's validating to hear that pantsuits can be a go. If only I didn't feel like I was dressing up in some sort of costume whenever I put one on...

    ReplyDelete