Thursday, March 25, 2010

A big step outside the box

I finally finished the two pairs of wool pants I've wanted since December. This is the Burda trouser pattern I mentioned about a month ago. I'm not sure how I like them. I made a short muslin (ended at the knee) so I didn't get a good idea of how the full leg looked. This pair is gray stretch flannel, the other pair is a wool/poly stretch that for whatever reason (different fabric?) feel bigger than this pair. My muslin was made from stretch corduroy and felt more fitted in the thighs than these do.

I took these pictures this morning because I plan to wear them to work. I wanted suitable office wear pants, but these feel really frumpy to me. Believe it or not, this is the brightest spot in my house -- I'll take better photos outside this weekend when the porch isn't covered in shade. I am trying to remind myself that the day is coming where I can't go to work in skinny jeans so I should get used to dressing like this, but the fit of these pants just feel so off to me. After doing the flat seat alteration, I'm somewhat satisfied with how this fits in the butt but the legs feel way too big and baggy in the thigh. I'm wondering whether I should have gone down a size in cutting the leg. Because I never put belt loops on my pants (and more importantly, I hate wearing belts) I am pretty sure that these will be saggy and even more frumpy by the end of the day.
click to enlarge


6 comments:

  1. From the back they look great! I agree that you have a little extra room in the thigh. You might even be able to slim this pair at the side seam and see what you think...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the pants look great but I don't really wear slim pants because I hve full thighs. :) I agree with Kid, MD. I think you could slim the legs down at the sides.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a great job on these pants but agree, that you could slim it down just a little more right past the thigh area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well the fit looks great to me in the photos. Like you say, maybe its just getting used to a different type of fit than skinny jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So how did they wear in the end? They look really great on! Still haven't plucked up the courage to even attempt trousers..

    ReplyDelete