Sunday, February 28, 2010

Slow pants

I've been working on pants for the last month. After like, 14 muslins, I've finally figured out how to make Burda pants fit my stumpy limbed, flat-assed (never thought I was deficient there!) self. I also learned that really, you can't go back. I have Burda back issues from 2005 and 2006 with pants with adorable details (these are both from the February 2006 issue):
You would think that this would be my best bet. Classic cut, Burda's petite design. While this fit, it was so high waisted that it was saggy in weird places around my hips.


This one had such a cute waistband... but in 2006 I guess Burda was all about the matronly look because these were so long in the crotch and big around my hips and thighs I felt like I'd aged 15 years.

I decided to go with a more recent Burda design, though I was a little leery of doing so. It seems to me that Burda's all about skinny pants lately and as much as I love me my skinny pants and jeans I do need some variety. July 2009 had these, and I made them fit, flat seat alteration and all. I've already cut out fabric for two pairs of lined wool pants, and hope to sew them up this week.

6 comments:

  1. I was going to try sewing pants this month - but you're scaring me! Hope these ones work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're funny. I've actually had pretty good luck with Vogue pants patterns in the past, but wanted to try something new. I have so many Burda magazines, I figured I should try to get past my frustration with Burda pants!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hoping that you will be using Burda's props in the photoshoot for the pants!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, the pattern does make a difference with pants fitting. (There's no need to ask me how I know!) I look forwrard to seeing those pants!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish you lots of luck on your recent pant choice. I'm just about ready to start working on mine. I want to get my Easter outfit done first. I have the pattern cut for the dress, and I'm getting ready to work up the muslin. Then I have to do the jacket. My only problem is that I paid a visit to Jomars this past weekend and picked up some Donna Karen fabric which I'm in love with. Too many choices. Not enough hours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, Andrea! I know what you mean... our ambitions often get ahead of our schedules. If only I had more time, or could sew faster!

    ReplyDelete