Monday, January 20, 2014

Getting closer to the right drape

This Threads tutorial has been handy:

How to create a draped cowl neckline

It worked great for the front, not so much for the back.  I am very close to getting the back to resemble that of the inspiration dress, thanks to this photo.  Drafting a triangle rather than slashing and spreading (as suggested by the Threads article) wasn't intuitive until I saw this picture.  Thanks, internet.

Someone pinned this image... while I couldn't find it on the website in the watermark, looks like it is worth a visit.  It shows you how to knock just about anything off through pictures.  If you can read Portuguese, you'll get even more from it.


  1. Thanks for the link, it seems like an interesting site. As for the cowl: Lauriana has a similar thing on her blog:
    I was just contemplating it myself.

    1. Thanks for the pointer! That really helped me realize I needed to square the bottom of my pattern piece (I'll have to explain in another post) -- the more pictures I see of other people's drafts, the better!

  2. I have a pattern for an evening gown with a low cowl back that I bought for one of my daughters. The front is different to what you are look for, so you would need to mix'n'match. I know longer need it, so email me your address and I'll send it to you.